Li Shen, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Radiology
IU Center for Neuroimaging, Department of Radiology
Center for Computational Biology and Bioinformatics
Indiana University School of Medicine
Dr. Shen's research is focused on studying computational methods in the areas of medical image computing and bioinformatics. His previous work includes shape, image and pattern analysis in computational neuroscience and cardiology, spatio-temporal modeling of pulmonary nodules for lung image analysis, and vessel extraction and visualization in angiogenesis studies using computed tomographic angiography. His current interests include (1) developing algorithms for bridging neuroimaging and genomics (e.g., identifying genetic risk factors using imaging as phenotypes), (2) developing image and pattern analysis methods for integrating MRI, fMRI and DTI data, and (3) developing software tools for medical image computing and bioinformatics. Computational methods of his interest include (1) image & vision computing, (2) data mining & pattern recognition, and (3) geometric modeling & graphics.
B.S. Degree: Xi'an Jiao Tong University (Computer Science) 1993
M.S. Degree: Shanghai Jiao Tong University (Computer Science) 1996
Ph.D. Degree: Dartmouth College (Computer Science) 2004
- Heng Huang, Li Shen, Rong Zhang, Fillia Makedon, Andrew J. Saykin, and Justin Pearlman. A Novel Surface Registration Algorithm in Medical Modeling Applications. IEEE Transactions on Information Technology in Biomedicine, 11(4): 474-482, 2007.
- Moo K. Chung, Kim M. Dalton, Li Shen, Alan C. Evans, and Richard J. Davidson. Weighted Fourier Series Representation and Its Application to Quantifying Amount of Gray Matter. IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, Special Issue on Computational Neuroanatomy (invited paper), 26(4): 566-581, 2007.
- Li Shen, Andrew J. Saykin, Moo K. Chung, Heng Huang. Morphometric Analysis of Hippocampal Shape in Mild Cognitive Impairment: An Imaging Genetics Study. BIBE 2007: IEEE 7th International Symposium on Bioinformatics & Bioengineering, Cambridge, MA, October 14-17, 2007.
- Li Shen, Heng Huang, Fillia Makdeon, and Andrew J. Saykin. Efficient Registration of 3D SPHARM Surfaces. CRV 2007: Fourth Canadian Conference on Computer and Robot Vision, Montreal, QC., pages 81-88, May 28-30, 2007.
- Li Shen and Fillia Makedon. Spherical Mapping for Processing of 3-D Closed Surfaces. Image and Vision Computing, 24(7): 743-761, 2006.
- Heng Huang, Li Shen, Rong Zhang, Fillia Makedon, Bruce Hettleman, and Justin Pearlman. Cardiac Motion Analysis to Improve Pacing Site Selection in CRT. Academic Radiology, Elsevier Science, 13(9):1124-1134, 2006.
- Li Shen, Wei Zheng, Ling Gao, Heng Huang, Fillia Makedon, and Justin Pearlman. Spatio-Temporal Modeling of Lung Images for Cancer Detection. Oncology Reports, Special Issue on Computational Analysis and Decision Support Systems in Oncology, 15:1085-1090, 2006.
- Li Shen and Moo K. Chung. Large-Scale Modeling of Parametric Surfaces using Spherical Harmonics. IEEE 3DPVT 2006: Third International Symposium on 3D Data Processing, Visualization and Transmission, UNC, Chapel Hill, USA, June 14-16, 2006.
- Heng Huang, Li Shen, Fillia Makedon, Bruce Hettleman, Justin Pearlman. Surface Alignment of 3D Spherical Harmonic Models: Application to Cardiac MRI Analysis. MICCAI 2005: 8th International Conference on Medical Image Computing and Computer Assisted Intervention, Palm Springs, California, USA Oct 26-29, 2005.
- Li Shen, James Ford, Fillia Makedon, and Andrew Saykin. A Surface-based Approach for Classification of 3D Neuroanatomic Structures. Intelligent Data Analysis, An International Journal, Volume 8(6), pp. 519-542, 2004.
- Li Shen, James Ford, Fillia Makedon, Yuhang Wang, Tilmann Steinberg, Song Ye, Andrew Saykin. Morphometric Analysis of Brain Structures for Improved Discrimination. MICCAI 2003, Medical Image Computing & Computer Assisted Intervention, LNCS 2879, 15st - 18th November 2003, Montreal, Quebec, CANADA.
- V. Megalooikonomou, James Ford, Li Shen, Fillia Makedon, and Andrew J. Saykin. Data Mining in Brain Imaging. Statistical Methods in Medical Research, Vol. 9, No. 4, pp. 359-394, 2000.
- Li Shen, Hong Shen, Ling Cheng, and Paul Pritchard. Fast Association Discovery in Derivative Transaction Collections. Knowledge and Information Systems, An International Journal, Volume 2, Number 2, May 2000, 147-160.
- Li Shen, Hong Shen, and Ling Cheng. New Algorithms for Efficient Mining of Association Rules. Information Sciences, 118 1-4 (1999) pp. 251-268.